Sunday, March 13, 2011

I am in denial...


the message at church today was about passover and the importance of communion. growing up our church didn't "do" communion. as an adult i regularly participated in the ritual of taking the wine and bread representing the blood and body of Jesus but did not fully understand the magnitude of communion until this morning.


at the Last Supper, Jesus had Peter and John prepare communion for the twelve disciples and himself. during the evening, Jesus stated "I tell you Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me" {Luke 22:34}. i have always thought of Peter as weak in character if he would deny Jesus not once but three times in one day. and the fascinating part of the story was that Jesus predicted Peter's denial yet He still chose to share communion with him.


today i realized i too am the disciple Peter...but worse. i choose to partake in communion-sharing the blood and body of Christ in remembrance of Him-yet i deny Him often...much more frequently than Peter. my worries-anxieties-doubts deny God exists. i am allowing my concerns to be a greater "god" in my life than God himself.


i am humbled. communion is not a ritual. it is a act of thankfulness. in all of my faults, weaknesses, short-comings...God wants me to come before Him and share the communion meal full well knowing my thoughts & actions have denied Him and will deny Him again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment